Total Pageviews

Monday, November 7, 2016

Lack of Excitement as the U.S. Election Appears



As the U.S. election gets closer (now only two days away), I've never felt as much apathy towards an election as I do now. The two-party system has hit an all time-low for being the worst representation of a democracy. Our two choices: In the first corner, we have a reality star who got rich from continuing his father's business (Trump Organization) and investing in property in New York while getting tax concessions in exchange. However he opened a multiple amount of businesses and many of them failed. See the whole list here. I can't support Trump because he promotes violence towards peaceful protesters, disrespects women verbally and physically, made a comment that he would deport all Muslims, said Mexicans were rapists, thinks South Korea and Japan should have nukes, supports Putin, and wants to build a massive wall along the Mexican border that will cost billions of dollars.

In the other corner, we have former First Lady and Secretary of State that is linked to an email scandal, which the FBI has just recently let her off again. Her husband had multiple affairs as the President but to her credit, she stuck with him. But she handled the Benghazi terrorist attack poorly causing a US ambassador and three other Americans to die. Obama was a critic of how she handled the incident at the time as well. You can see the story here. Or you can read the 8 devastating facts about Benghazi in this article. But I can't support her either because she's a compulsive liar. You can go on YouTube and see how she has lied a multiple amount of times including her stance on gay marriage, Benghazi, how many emails she destroyed, her support for Barak Obama, and on and on. Here's a compilation of all her lies here. This video has had almost 14,000,000 views.

Then you have Gary Johnson. I originally supported him before looking into all of the issues. He wants to legalize marijuana, legalize all citizens, and give free health care. The guy seems to be a bit too liberal for me. But worst of all, he was asked about what he would do in Aleppo (Syria) and he was confused. I gave him the benefit of the doubt since the interviewer tested him and didn't mention Syria in the question. If I was given that question, maybe the first thing I would have thought of was Alpo dog food. But two weeks later, he was interviewed by Chris Matthews and was given a chance to name his favorite world leader. Personally, I could have easily named three leaders that might be considered good leaders: Trudeau (Canada), Merkel (Germany), and Nieto (Mexico). But Johnson couldn't name one. Putting all of these things together, I couldn't support him either.

Therefore I decided that I wasn't going to vote. People can say what they want and say that it is my civic duty to vote. However, voting is a privilege and not a right. I refuse to vote for someone based on "the lesser of two evils". If that was the case, I would have voted for Hillary Clinton.
And even if I did vote, it wouldn't have mattered much anyway. I'm from California and my home state always votes for the Democratic candidate, so Hillary Clinton already got my state's vote.

Before you vote on Election Day, pray about it if you're a Christian and do some research beforehand. If you're not a Christian, do your research and come to a logical conclusion. But don't feel pressured to vote for someone just because you feel you have to. Vote for that person because you strongly agree with that candidate's platform. In South Korea, many people are embarrassed because they chose the wrong candidate and with regards to her own email scandal, she's getting pressured to step down, so be careful who you vote for.

I personally couldn't find anyone I strongly supported unfortunately. I just hope and pray that whoever is chosen can lead the U.S. with integrity. But after seeing three debates and mudslinging go back and forth, I'm not too hopeful.

Scott Worden (L.A./Seoul Guy)
Instagram: l.a.seoulguy

No comments:

Post a Comment