Total Pageviews

Friday, September 21, 2018

Thankful for National Health Care in South Korea



Before I brag about the cost of health care in South Korea, I will admit that I have insurance. However, because I have insurance, it makes the cost of health care in Korea even cheaper than it already is. Now let me tell you the latest experience I had:

I had been suffering with a cold including a cough for the past week. I even woke up a couple nights in a row at 1:30am and 2:00am respectively. My wife was probably thinking "Enough is enough!" She then told me that it would be best that we visit the doctor.

The latest amazing experience began when my wife and I walked into a small clinic at 10:30am on a Wednesday near Nakseongdae Station, which is the station near my home. I wrote down my name and Alien Registration Card number and within 10 minutes, the doctor checked my nose and throat. A minute later he shows the screen where you can get a visual look of my throat and nose. He tells me that I have some inflammation in my throat and that it's just a minor cold. He lets me know that I need to drink more water and types out a prescription on the computer.

Five minutes later, I have a prescription in hand and we are done. My wife and I head to the pharmacy to get some pills and cough syrup that are to last three days. After a short five minute visit at the pharmacy, I get my medicine. The total came out to a whopping 4,000 won (approximately $4). If I didn't have insurance, it would have cost me about $10, which is pretty amazing in itself. The whole process was quick, cheap, and convenient.

To make a long story short: I love the health care system in South Korea and I hope it never changes!

Scott Worden (The L.A./Seoul Guy)
Instagram: l.a.seoulguy

No comments:

Post a Comment