Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 27, 2019

Please Keep My Father-in-Law in Prayer

On Thursday, my wife Eunhee found out that one of her father's lungs had collapsed. This was due to him being a chain smoker. He lives in Yanji, China with her mom. My wife's sister, brother-in-law, and my wife, and I live in Seoul. Thursday was emotionally draining and physically exhausting for my wife. She talked to her mom, talked to her sister, and had to decide what to do.

Friday was even crazier. Her mom asked if she could go to Yanji right away since she didn't know how long her father would make it. He got hooked up to oxygen and they weren't sure if he would be able to survive without it. My wife's sister just had a baby 9 days ago and can't leave Korea right now. Her husband is helping to take care of her and the baby, but would have left for Yanji in case there's a funeral. My wife then bought a flight ticket to Yanji for Saturday, then took my passport and alien registration card to get myself a Chinese visa. I had a 10-year visa until my bag got stolen in Paris last year with my passport inside the bag. At that time the visa was about $150. Because of bad US/China relations, the visa doubled to about $300. A lot of money was spent by Eunhee just because of this emergency situation. When I got off from work at 3:00pm on Friday, we had to go back to the local government office and pick up a document since I had to be there in person to prove that I was a real person. Then we got some pictures done of myself for the visa, and a delivery guy came to our home to pick up my passport to get my visa processed. Thankfully things happen quickly in Korea. Friday was over, my wife had a headache, and she was emotionally spent.

On Saturday, Eunhee took a 2:30pm flight to Yanji which cost about $350. As mentioned earlier, it's been a costly emergency for us, but at least she can see her father. On top of that, she can see her mom and grandma while she's there.

I should be getting my visa on Wednesday or Thursday but by that time, it will be close to Lunar New Year, so tickets to Yanji might be impossible to get or extremely expensive. Therefore I will probably be alone in Seoul by myself indefinitely until Eunhee can help her mom with the decision making. Her mom will be spending about $1,000 a day to keep him in the hospital for a week. From that time, they will need to know if he's improving at all. Her mom cannot afford a lot and will most likely sell her home and get a smaller one just in case she needs more money to support her father financially.

At this point, Eunhee's father isn't doing too bad, but her mom isn't sure if he can survive without oxygen at this point. Please keep Eunhee, her father, her mother, and the rest of her family in prayer. It's only been 4 days, yet so much has happened during that time. Thank you for your prayers. They are greatly appreciated.

Scott Worden (The L.A./Seoul Guy)
Instagram: l.a.seoulguy

No comments:

Post a Comment